1. To activate the magnify glass on the browser click the trackball twice.
2. Turning off the GPS saves battery life to do so go to Menu, Settings, Security and Location.
3. When you want to change a setting just about anywhere on the phone hit menu, it’ll give you options.
4. In browser, and also in pic gallery-when the zoom + - shows up- you can hold the + down and it will smoothly keep panning in.
5. Switch phone orientation to landscape: In web browser, go to menu>more>flip orientation. This will change the phone orientation to landscape so that you don’t have to open the screen to get it to flip.
6. Saving pictures from the web: Press and hold the image for 3 seconds, a selection will pop-up either to save image or view image. It may contain more selections if the image contains a link.
7. To forward picture and text messages: Press and hold the message.
8. In browser, long press trackball/pearl on image to bring up “save image/view image”
-in browser, long press trackball/pearl over url to bring up “open/open in new window/bookmark link/save link/share link/copy link url”
-in browser, press menu to bring up browser menu (go to url/search/bookmarks/…etc); long-press menu to temporarily flash the shortcuts.
9. Holding the home button brings up your 6 most recent apps.
10. To make ringtones, alerts, and notifications make a folder inside your memory card each one containing there own name such as “ringtones” “alarms” “notifications”.
11. To rename a folder on the homescreen click and hold the dock at the top of the folders name.
12. Long press the phone key for voice dial.
13. To Cut, press Menu and x. To Copy, press Menu and c. To Paste, press Menu andv
14. Clear your Cache!
If you’ve been using streetview or the browser alot, the cache can quickly get big. I’ve only had the phone for two days and got 20MB back by clearing the cache on these two.
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Browser > Clear Data
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Streetview > Clear Data
15. In the browser, hold down ALT key and roll trakball for fast scrolling.( Or press space bar for a fast scroll down)
16. Use AnyCut (Application in Android Market) to put important contacts on your desktop, I usually use the text one because it’s also useful if you want to call them, just pull up the text screen then hold your finger on their phone number and you can view contact and call them from there, of course you can use AnyCut to make it go straight to their contact info, but I usually am texting people so that’s why I used text.
17. How to change screen name on Aim: Go to the Application menu or IM application, CLICK and HOLD the chat application you wish to change the Username of, and you will be able to change your IM name.
18. How to Increase Battery Life
-Turn off GPS
-Lower screen brightness
-Turn off Wi-fi when you are not around any wifi networks
19. How to SOFT RESET the G1
1) Turn Off the Phone
2) Remove Battery
3) Remove Sim Card
4) Put battery and sim card again
5) Turn On the phone
6) Press Menu
7) Factory Data Reset (Remember that: This action will reset the phone to its initial factory state, erasing all data and wonloaded applications, so BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP first you try this). Cool Press “reset phone”
20. How to Hard Reset Your G1 and Start From Scratch --
1) Turn off the Phone
2) Press HOME + POWER KEYS (keep them holding for about 25 secs) until you see a screen with a phone and a triangle. then
3) SLIDE YOUR KEYBOARD TO OPEN IT
4) press ALT + l ( TO SHOW YOU OPTIONS)
5) Press ALT + W ( TO FORMAT ALL DATA)
Note: When I write the sign + you don’t have to press the + sign, it means that you need to press both keys @ the same time.
Note2: Don’t do this if you don’t have a Data Plan or your 2G or 3G is not working, why? because you will not be able to sign in again without a working Data Plan (2g / 3g).
Originally posted 2009-09-11 10:02:17.